Food                      Fabric                    Paper                    Holidays                    Decorating                   Giving                     

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Birthdays Project (UPDATED)

Last year a fellow blogger, Kelly McCaleb from My Happy Little Life started a great service project for her birthday. She collected (and made) items for newborn kits to be sent to LDS Humanitarian Services for distribution to families in third world countries and other areas affected by disasters. She continued the birthday tradition this year and I asked her if she would mind if I borrowed her idea for my birthday this month. She offered her blessing and some great advice. Thanks Kelly.:)

My goal is to put together 10 kits in the next few weeks. I need some help from my friends to gather some of the supplies. Here is a list of the kit contents that are packed in a 2 gallon zip bag:

4 single thickness cloth diapers
4 diaper safety pins
1 pair booties or baby socks
2 bars of Ivory soap 3.5-5 ounces each
*1 receiving blanket
1 layette gown

The Humanitarian Center is very specific about some of the items in the kit. I could use your help collecting these items. Since I would like to put together 10 kits, this is what I will need:
  • 40 flat-fold single thickness cloth diapers (Approximately 25" Birdseye Cloth or diaper flannel, 100% cotton.) Please, no pre-fold or disposable diapers.
  • 40 diaper safety pins
  • 10 pairs booties or baby socks (this would be a great project for a knitter or crocheter)
  • 20 bars of soap 3.5-5 ounces each (Ivory or other non-allergenic brand)
  • 10   layette gowns (Newborn to 6 months, Fabric: cotton knit.) Please, No footed sleepers, buttons, zippers or strings. This could be store-bought or, you can use the pattern here.
  • *10 receiving blanket (36x36 – 45x45 inches) (see instructions below) This need has been filled.
  • 10-2 gallon size heavy ziplock bags
How can you help? Please email me ( h_mcewen at hotmail dot com) and let me know what and how much of the needs you would like to donate. Or, you can leave a comment here. I'll email you my address where you can send items. Then, I'll assemble the kits, filling any holes if necessary. I'll then deliver the kits to the Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. From there the kits will be sent to orphanages, hospitals, or anywhere they are needed in developing countries or places affected by disaster.

Any help would be appreciated. Email me if you have any questions. I'll keep you posted on my blog with updated totals of what is still needed to complete the kits.

Thank you so much.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails